Amitiel's Dog House

Friday, October 14, 2005


MY TURN!! MY TURN!!

Scooter here!


When I was just barely over 2 years old the family I was with had their own "human" baby boy and they felt they weren't able to give me the attention I needed. That was 2 years ago. (I hear that they have since had a baby girl, too.)

They wanted to make sure that I went somewhere loving and where I would be well taken care of. The idea that I might have a"bad" life or home was distressing to them. Since that "Mom" was the daughter to the lady that Amy was "born" to, and knew that Amy was happy - this was her 1st choice for my next home.

One look at me (especially after I gave lots of puppy kisses when meeting the "new parents") and away I went to my forever home.

At 1st I chewed a few things (electric cords mostly) that I should not have. But with patience, I soon learned not to do that. Mom says I have funny "quirks"; hiding under the dishwasher door while it is being loaded, toe licking (bathing actually), rolling on your feet and my chew toys to mark what's "mine", and barking at the door when the doorbell on TV rings. Dad won't let me lick his toes, says it tickles too much. Isn't that why it is a fun thing?

Favorite things - rolling on what's "mine", playing with Max, doggie treats (any kind), chasing cats, squirrels and lizards in the backyard, climbing on anything and everything I can (watch me get on the picnic table or try to climb the lumber stack) and following Mom around like a shadow (maybe that should have been my name, Shadow - hhmmm,..... nah.)

I have even been know to chase the occasional opossum, got one by the tail once. He had been asleep and didn't want to play, just hissed and tried to get away. Dad has tried to "live catch" him but he refuses the trap. Dad wants to get him before one of us furbabies do, he is concerned that we might get hurt, the opossum was bigger than me. Dad & Mom sure worry about us a lot sometimes. Isn't it great being loved?!?

OH YEAH!! I am a 14 pound shih-tzu, a gray brindle color, darker grays on the front half and lighter grays on the back. I'm a lovable guy! I will love you all over, play games till you're tired or just lie on your feet and nap if you are wanting to be quiet. I love young playful children with manners, but I especially love girls (wink, wink). I am a big flirt and will steal their hearts every time.

But, give me even the slightest chance, and I'm out the front door and running down the street for all I'm worth. I seem to have a fair amount of luck with Mom and/or Dad catching me before I get hit by a car, especially since we live in a heavily congested and high traffic area. There are cats living 2 houses down on both sides and I DON'T like cats. Or if no cats are out, I will just explore other peoples yards. The more difficult or dangerous to get to the better; like the yard with the 2 rotties living there or the ones across the 4 lane highway at the end of the block!.

Dad is taking Max for walks most evenings. Sometimes Mom & I join them. They call it "leash training", I call it another chance to try to run and explore. Wish Mom didn't keep the leash ssooo short, makes it hard for a guy to smell the bushes or chase the cats. It sure is tiring pulling on that leash and the walks are getting longer. We mostly walk on a "trail" that use to be railroad track but is now part of the "Rails to Trails" program. It has paved areas to walk on or you can walk on the grass. There are no motorized travel methods allowed on the trail and they have plenty of benches to sit on. I wish it had a few pet fountains. Instead, we have to carry our own water. The trail is just over a block away from the house but it goes on for miles. I have been told it joins with other trails going all up and down the east coast. Maybe you have one in your area? They are great places to walk, meet new playmates, chase the lizards or just get new "smells".

Max is asleep - think I'll go wake him.

Have fun all!! (Know I will!!!!!!)

Remember to roll on someone today!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cool site!!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this post was what caught my attention. I was just out browsing around today looking for information on dog gift, and happened accross your blog. Although it's not completely related to dog gift, it certainly made me stop and ponder. Thanks for the great read Amitel's Dog House...I'll be back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home